Thursday, April 30, 2009

The crazed piece of toast disowned the well-groomed gummy worms, or Pocket poetry.



Today is Poem in Your Pocket Day. To celebrate, Zachary kept Jack Prelutsky's "Last Night I Dreamed of Chickens" in his pocket. Here it is:
Last night I dreamed of chickens,
there were chickens everywhere,
they were standing on my stomach,
they were nesting in my hair,
they were pecking at my pillow,
they were hopping on my head,
they were ruffling up their feathers
as they raced about my bed.

They were on the chairs and tables,
they were on the chandeliers,
they were roosting in the corners,
they were clucking in my ears,
there were chickens, chickens, chickens
for as far as I could see...
when I woke today, I noticed
there were eggs on top of me.
And here is Zachary's version:

Last night I dreamed of bunnies,
there were bunnies everywhere,
they were jumping on my bed,
they were hitting my head,
they were hopping on my stomach,
they were running on my bed,
they were bouncing on my ball...
when I woke today, I noticed
there were carrots on my head.


Now I need to find another poem--he wants a different one in his pocket every day...

Friday afternoon update: Zachary came home without his poem. He has decided to read a poem to his class every day and give it to the most respectful student...

For more kid-friendly ideas, check out I Blame My Mother.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

LOL - you will be busy. Here's my favorite...that would fit in a pocket.

The Guppy
by Ogden Nash

Whales have calves,
Cats have kittens,
Bears have cubs,
Bats have bittens,
Swans have cygnets,
Seals have puppies,
But guppies just have little guppies

My brother (who is now 37) recited this in the 2nd grade talent show. I still remember it and have taught it to my girls :) I bet you could make up your own as well! Thanks for linking - enjoy your weekend!